McDonald’s – the place for an emergency Filét-O-Fish, grabbing a quick Sundae on a hot day, a quick and easy Cheeseburger after a long night out, just heading through the Drive-Thru and off you go.
As more and more burger joints pop up throughout Australia, McDonald’s was the last place we’d think to go to smash down a custom burger with mates.
Until recently, we heard the news [thank Uncle Lou] that they had totally and completely revamped their burgers so you can build your own. That’s right, you can now customise your very own McDonald’s burger to include fresh ingredients such as toasted brioche buns, shaved parmesan, juicy Angus patties and even grilled pineapple! Served on a FREAKING FOOD BOARD WITH FRIES IN A BASKET! Damn straight we had to try these for ourselves.
1. Sink your teeth into these buns.
They’ve added a toasted brioche-style bun [I like mine a little extra toasty], a baker’s bun and if you prefer, you can have your burger wrapped in lettuce – no judgement from our end but if that’s your cup of tea, enjoy.
2. I’m not usually too cheesy but Macca’s have made it difficult to resist with all these extra varieties of cheese such as cheddar, swiss, colby jack and shaved parmesan. Damn, it’s getting hard to choose.
3. Want extra bacon? How about grilled eggs, guacamole, tortilla chips for that extra crunch, grilled mushrooms or grilled pineapple? Ah just add it all, will ya?!
4. Fresh ingredients are essential for an amazing burger and McDonald’s have brought that to us by offering not just the regular boring lettuce and tomato, but also caramelised onions, red onions, sliced beetroot, pickles and perhaps the most important, jalapenos for that required kick.
5. Want beef? How about an Angus Beef patty? Go crazy and make it a double with the different cheeses in between. You can do it!
6. It’s the sauce! If the regular old ketchup and BBQ sauce just doesnt cut it anymore, Macca’s have now added a few more tantalising sauces such as Tomato Chilli Jam, Dijonnaise, Aioli, Herb Aioli, Chipotle Mayo and my favourite, the Big Mac Special Sauce.
7. Would you like fries with that? Of course you do, and they come out in a rather quirky steel basket, to keep them crunchy and to avoid the oily cardboard.
8. Not only can you enjoy these fancy burgers in restaurant served on a wooden board, but they’re also available to takeaway!
9. Walk in and BOOM! McDonald’s have introduced the Create Your Taste touchscreen ordering kiosks, making it really easy to order your custom burger in a few simple steps: swipe your card to pay, grab your tracker, place on the table and VOILA, your freshly made burger appears in front of you after a few minutes.
10.Seriously, how very Un McDonald’s is this?! The burgers are fantastic and not something you’d expect from Macca’s like the cheeseburger or Big Mac we’ve grown up with. With quality, fresh ingredients and an explosion of flavours, you won’t care if it gets a bit messy as you dig in.
Yes, I was invited by McDonald’s to try out their new burgers and for something we don’t have to drive a million miles to, I think they’re convenient and delicious. Will be coming back for more to see what other combos I can make next!