Heard on the grapevine that Mad Mex had a new product on the line, I needed to find out what it was.
I had my people talk to their people and managed to get together with Mad Mex head honcho, Clovis Young, to cook, eat and chat about the new Baja Prawn Tacos. And if possible, try and get him to tell me the recipe for their secret sauce.
You may remember my post about the Naked Burrito in November – loved the store and the food so I was pretty excited to get the chance to cook with Clovis.
Taking over a Mad Mex store kitchen, Clovis and I got our hands [and my clothes damn it] dirty preparing for the Baja Prawn Tacos. It has taken him seven trips to Baja California, Mexico, to perfect the recipe. Using only fresh and authentic ingredients such as the freshest prawns, crispy cabbages for the slaw and spicy chipotle.
HOW TO PRONOUNCE CHIPOTLE!
Asking Clovis what the secret recipe was, he simply points at the spices and says ‘we have a red one, another red one, a brown one, two yellow ones and a couple of white ones and lots of fresh citrus’. Sorry guys, couldn’t get it. We will never know what’s in that secret sauce.
Peeling the heads and tails off the fresh plump prawns, we sautéed them in spicy chipotle chilli adding adobo, garlic and lemon oil. The tacos are then topped with an addictive, fresh Mexican slaw of yogurt, lime & chipotle and finished with onion and coriander salsa & a squeeze of fresh lime [which ended up in my eye haha].
The chipotle has a fantastic spicy kick to it and the onion and coriander salsa is surprisingly refreshing, together with flavoursome prawns and crisp slaw, all sitting in a soft and light taco shell. It was great to see so many fresh yet simple ingredients being used in the tacos creating such a flavoursome punch. I’d say it felt like a party in my mouth, a rave or perhaps PROJECT X. Fresh flavours exploding everywhere.
And here we have it, now available at all Mad Mex stores are these gorgeous, fresh Baja Prawn Tacos filled with crunchy slaw and spicy chipotle, which pairs perfectly with a bottle of Jarritos. Grab yourself some tacos today-limited time only.
Win a custom-made Mad Mex Surfboard from Byron Bay
- If you can’t follow the endless summer to Baja, Mad Mex will bring it to you!
- To celebrate the launch of Baja Prawn Tacos, Mad Mex is giving away a custom-made Baja Surfboard from Byron Bay, worth $1500
- To enter or view Terms & Conditions, simply go to www.madmex.com.au/baja or click the image below
- Winner drawn Tuesday 17th February
and Claim your free soft drink or water
- Enjoy a cold refreshment on Mad Mex
- Take your coupon into store, ask for a full serving of new Baja Prawn Tacos & Mad Mex will shout you a free soft drink or water
- To claim your coupon, go to www.madmex.com.au/baja