Cinnamon Rolls are just the greatest. And so is being able to cook delicious, sticky and sweet desserts in under a minute. That’s why we’re so thankful to the team at A Virtual Vegan for creating this one minute cinnamon roll in-a-mug recipe.
Seriously, as soon as your sweet tooth starts craving something delicious, you can satisfy it basically instantly.
To take that journey from zero to flavour town in sixty seconds, have a look at the full recipe here, or scroll down if you can manage to without drooling everywhere.
- 9 level tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Around 3-4½ tablespoons water
- A tiny dab of oil (coconut or mild olive oil/vegetable oil) for greasing the mug
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ tablespoons coconut sugar (you can sub any fine sugar – don’t use one with large chunky grains unless you don’t mind the grainy texture when it’s cooked)
- ½ teaspoon water
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- A drop of plant-based milk or water (around ¾ teaspoon)
- Grease a mug with a tiny dab of oil. Be sure to reach into the bottom and the edges well.
- First make the frosting. In a small bowl mix the powdered sugar with either plant-based milk or water. Add the liquid a tiny bit at a time. It doesn’t take much at all and the most you will need is ¾ teaspoon of water, perhaps a tiny drop more if you are using milk. Stir well until smooth then set aside.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to another small bowl and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the water stirring until it starts to form a dough then use your hand to bring it together, kneading a few times until its a smooth ball. If you do accidentally add a drop too much water and it’s a bit sticky, add a little tiny bit more flour. If it’s very dry and won’t come together, add a drop more water.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour, then roll your dough out into a long strip about 4 inches wide and a couple of millimetres thick
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar and cinnamon evenly over the dough then fold the edges inwards to seal it in and stop it all falling out when you lift it into the mug.(see my video above).
- You will be left with a long narrow strip which you can roll up.
- Roll it up and gently lift it and place it in the greased mug.
- Pour over ½ teaspoon water then place in the microwave.
- Microwave uncovered on full power for 45 – 50 seconds. My microwave is 1200 watts. You might need to adjust the time very slightly if yours is different.
- It should have swollen up nicely when you check it and if you insert a toothpick or skewer into the dough it should come out clean. It is normal for the top to be a little soft & look a bit doughy when you first take it out. Remember that it will continue to cook a little bit after you remove so a tiny bit under done is better than overdone as then it will go tough. If it needs longer cook in 5 second increments to avoid over cooking it.
- Turn out onto a plate and spoon over the frosting.
- Eat immediately.